Summary:Gypsum is an important building material used by architects and builders around the world. Learn more about gypsum processing equipment here!
What Is Gypsum
Gypsum is an important building material used by architects and builders around the world. It is a monoclinic mineral and a hydrate whose main chemical composition is calcium sulfate (CaSO4). Gypsum generally refers to two kinds of minerals: raw gypsum and anhydrite. Raw gypsum is also called dihydrate gypsum, hydrated gypsum or soft gypsum, and is usually dense. The microporous structure and heating dehydration of gypsum and its products make it have excellent sound insulation, heat insulation and fire resistance.
- Specific Gravity: 2.31 – 2.33
- Gypsum Color: White
- Fracture: Conchoidal, splintery (parallel)
- Gypsum Luster: vitreous, silky, pearly, waxy
- Crystal System: Elongated prismatic crystals, Flat
- Gypsum Chemical Formula: CaSO4·2H2O
What Is The Chemical Equation For Gypsum Calcination
When gypsum is heated to 150°C, it will lose most of its crystal water and become mature gypsum, and plaster of paris will solidify quickly after mixing with water into a paste.
Raw → Cooked: 2(CaSO4•2H2O) 2CaSO4•H2O+3H2O
Cooked → Raw: 2CaSO4•H2O+3H2O 2(CaSO4•2H2O)
Uses Of Gypsum Powder
With the rapid development of the national economy, gypsum has been widely promoted and applied in different fields. Gypsum powder can be divided into the following 4 aspects according to its uses:
1. Gypsum powder uses in construction and building materials: the plaster gypsum obtained by calcining gypsum to 170°C is used to coat ceilings, wood boards, etc.; gypsum can be used as cement and cementing materials in plastics, rubber, coatings, asphalt, linoleum and other industries Used as a filler in production; it can also be used as a coagulation and expansion agent, anti-cracking agent, and the main raw material for self-leveling mortar.
2. Gypsum powder uses in chemical industry: gypsum can be used to produce sulfuric acid, along with the production of light cement; it can produce ammonium sulfate, along with the production of light calcium carbonate.
3. Gypsum powder uses in agricultural field: gypsum can be used to improve the soil and adjust the pH; it can be used as a calcium and sulfur compound mineral fertilizer in the cultivation of edible fungi; it can be used as a compound mineral feed additive in poultry and livestock.
4. Gypsum powder uses in thermal power plant field: With the continuous increase in environmental protection, the role of gypsum in thermal power plants has become increasingly prominent. In the desulfurization process, choosing a good desulfurizer is the key to absorbing sulfur dioxide, and limestone can be used as an efficient desulfurizer For use, the smaller the particle size of limestone powder, the more conducive to the absorption of sulfur dioxide, and the more efficiently and quickly the flue gas after combustion can be desulfurized and purified.
Gypsum Powder Production Process
How Is Gypsum Processed
To get the gypsum ore into a state where it can be sold for its many uses, it is crushed to size using jaw crusher, cone crusher or impact crusher and stockpiled to await further processing.
The crushed gypsum is screened using vibratory screens to separate the sizes for their different uses. One size from the screen may be sold as a cement retarder, while another size may be stockpiled for further processing. Further processing includes drying the ore to remove excess moisture, then grinding it into a fine powder known as land plaster.
The First Stage: The Crushing Of Raw Materials
The gypsum material is crushed by the crusher to the fineness (15mm-50mm) that can enter the mill.
The Second Stage: Milling
The crushed gypsum pieces are sent to the storage hopper by the elevator, and then sent to the grinding chamber of the mill evenly and quantitatively by the feeder for grinding.
The Third Stage: Classification
The ground material is classified by the classification system, and the unqualified powder is classified by the classifier and returned to the main engine for re-grinding.
The Fourth Stage: The Collection Of Finished Products
The powder that meets the fineness is separated and collected in the dust collector through the pipeline through the airflow.The collected finished powder is sent to the finished product silo by the conveying device through the discharge port, and then is packaged by a powder tanker or an automatic baler.
Gypsum is Ground and Then Calcined
In terms of raw material particle size, cone crusher is generally used for natural gypsum ore, and the raw material particle size is 0.10mm. Gypsum is a poor thermal conductor. It needs to absorb a lot of heat in the process of modification and transformation. If the calcination and dehydration reaction is inconsistent, there must be under-burning and over-burning during the calcination process, which will affect the product quality; the product quality must be stabilized by the aging effect in the later stage.
But first grinding and then calcining does not have this disadvantage, and has the characteristics of uniform calcination and low energy consumption, which effectively guarantees the calcination quality. Since the calcined raw material after grinding is at room temperature, the life of the running part of the mill will be extended, which improves the service life of the mill. However, calcination after grinding should be carried out in a closed vertical fire-tube boiling furnace to reduce exhaust gas dust collection.
Mill Recommendation For Gypsum Powder Plant
|Product specification||Coarse flour processing (100 mesh-400 mesh)||Deep processing of fine powder (600 mesh-2000 mesh)|
|Equipment selection scheme||LM series Vertical roller mill
or MTW series European Raymond mill
|SCM series super fine mill
Or LUM series ultrafine vertical mill
Where Can I Buy Gypsum Processing Equipment?
You can buy gypsum processing equipment here. If you need help finding the right machine, please contact us. We will be happy to assist you with any questions you might have.
As the leading enterprise in global crushing & grinding industries, SBM always sticks to develop both technology and quality and to pursue innovation and excellence. Both product types and models can meet all demands in this industry, guaranteeing the quality and delivery of equipment. SBM takes Asia as the core area to radiate toward the mid-to-high end customers worldwide. The product has the European CE Certification and global quality certification ISO 14001:2015, etc..
Read More About Gypsum